This race is now the: IDAHO SLED DOG CHALLENGE
Happy and Healthy Sled Dogs
For more information, please
School Children Educational Visits
Schedule of events
Interested in the race course?
Would you like to volunteer? Please view the many different opportunities we have on our Volunteer Page.
This event is possible because of the support of generous sponsors.
This race winds through the West Central Mountains on the Payette and Boise National Forest. You can watch and share in the excitement during the ceremonial start, the start and finish, and the at two mid-route checkpoints. This race will be challenging, with trails winding up and through the mountains.
- To give spectators the opportunity to experience the excitement of this historic event, a Ceremonial Start will take place at 2:00 pm January 28 at Ponderosa State Park.
- To give race fans a chance to score a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, there will be Sled Dog Ride Bids to ride with mushers through Ponderosa State Park with a musher and team. Bidding will start via the Facebook page on January 20 and run to January 26 (*DETAILS coming)
- Pre-race activities will also include musher programs with the community and schools.
THE RACE January 29, 30, 31
- The Start and Finish of the race will be at Bear Creek Lodge 3492 Hwy 55, McCall
- OFFICAL START at 1:00pm January 29
- Most of the race will run through remote wilderness. However, in addition to the start and finish lines, race fans will be able to cheer on their favorite team at road-accessible checkpoints along the trail.
- DONNELLY - Platt Warming Hutt - west 3.7 miles to West Mountain Rd. then north 1.3 miles
- CASCADE - Cascade Lake State Park - From N Main Street go south on Old State Hwy 1/2 mile to lake shore.
- Each sled is equipped with a GPS tracker so race fans can anticipate when to be at a checkpoint by following the race online
- Start and finish will be at Bear Creek Lodge. The track goes south on Forest Service roads and then returns north to the start/finish line.
- January 31 Teams may come in from 1:00 AM on come down and enjoy the All Night festivities at Bear Creek Lodge
- Awards Banquet January 31 6:30 pm
- Bear Creek Lodge (tickets required * $25.00 purchase by clicking on the buy now button on this page)
- Astronaut John Herrington, will compare this ancient from of travel with space travel and present the awards
Operating on U.S. Forest Service land under permit from Boise and Payette National Forests.
Idaho’s Heartland communities are excited to host the
McCall Ultra Sled Dog Challenge, Idaho’s only
250 mile Iditarod qualifier sled dog race.